Week 2: Menu & ReceiptPosted: January 5, 2013
Here it is! Don’t make fun of my bad paint job.
- Saturday: Tacos (seasoned ground beef and salsa on greens with carrot peels, cucumber slivers, chopped onions – check the bad pic on Facebook)
- Sunday: Kabobs (chicken, pork, steak with peppers, onions, sprouts and bacon) with Brussel Sprout and Bacon Speared
- Monday: Pork Chops with a salad and mashed (sweet) potatoes (and certainly applesauce)
- Tuesday: Burgers with salad and fries (or burger ON salad, hold the fries)
- Wednesday: Chicken Soup (broth, chicken breast, bag(s) of frozen soup vegetables, chopped and peeled additional carrots and onions, seasoned in the crock pot)
- Thursday: Steak (mmm, steak) with baked (sweet) potatoes and a salad
- Friday: $5 PIZZA NIGHT (or leftovers)
- Saturday: Jumbalaya (broth, peppers, onions, garlic, chicken, shrimp and sausage, seasoned in the crock pot)
My shopping list tallied at $100.33 according to my calculator, before check out. That was after I decided to put a few things back to swap out for more proteins; one of the 2 frozen pizzas my husband requested $3.99; the entire stock of k-cups because (I had a coupon for a buy 2) I can get through exactly enough days with the coffee and tea I have $11.98; I put back grass fed hot dogs and resolved to not take short cuts when feeding the kids (besides we have sliced chicken, eggs and there will be plenty of leftovers for lunch options) $5.99; I decided against another jar of olives since I blew through the last one (munchies) and I have guacamole and celery in the crisper I can crunch on instead $2.29.
The cashier presented me with the grand total of $102.55. Not bad. Mind you, that also includes $44.44 in NON Paleo foods or housewares items. HOLY SHIT. Imagine if we just ate Paleo.
I’ll also be making hard-boiled eggs for snacking and salad, cookie bars (grainless granola like concoction, basically nuts and honey) and I have apples and bananas to turn into yummy breakfast or dessert options for the girls. That makes a week worth of (almost) Paleo eating.
Some more thoughts on Paleo being as affordable as you want to make it:
- Robb’s rant, he will always hold a spot in my heart for opening my eyes to the power I have over my own health.
- I follow Paleo On a Budget on Facebook
- A quick google search (if you really want to know something, you can find the answer yourself) and here is a nice rundown on ways to cut the budget from the Lean Machine and 15 Tips for Eating Paleo on the Cheap from Following my Nose
- Now harvest your own information. If you want something, you’ll make it work. Don’t blame anyone but yourself.
Have you visited us on Facebook?
To view more $100/week budget Menu & Receipt posts click below.